|Shaun's 2016 Tacoma with 8.75" elocker gets CRYO treated 529 Nitro Gears|
|(77 BIG pics loading)|
|JAN 4 2019|
|Shaun's 529 Nitro gears are going to cryo CryogenicsInternational.|
|Many other items can be cryo'd including these milling bits.|
|Liquid nitrogen can get the parts down to about -310 F.|
| Ring/pinions back from cryo. Shaun decided that the 529 gears will go very nicely with 35" tires.|
The cryo operation makes the gears tougher and they will take much greater abuse.
| Front 8" Nitro gears for the 8" clam. So, even though the 2016 Taco has a 6 speed manual with 2 overdrives. 5th gear is the |
usual .85 OD and 6th gear is an amazing .71 OD which means that 529 gears are still a good deal on the highway.
|Here's the rear Nitro 8.75" 529...that's a massive 32 spline pinion.|
|8" front on the left and the 8.75 on right. A very massive pinion on the 8.75".|
|This write-up is about the rear 8.75" gear install.|
| Even though this 3rd is so new, the plastic connector just did not want to separate easy. It didn't help that the release clasp|
was on the backside where you can't get a good grip on it. It's really just a simple matter of cutting the blue wires.
| The wires will have to be tinned. These are not tinned properly. The solder did not flow fully around the wire. More on that|
towards the end.
| Tacos with manual trannies get 4.30 factory gears(autos get 3.91). Let's do a quick paint check and see how well the factory|
set them....drive side....looks pretty good.
|This elocker has "stop tabs" on it....|
|....it does a a slight resemblance to the Eaton elocker mechanisms. Cap is removed.|
|Locker sensor connector.|
|Center carrier is out.|
| The 12 flange style ring gear bolts were in very tight with a high strength factory loctite but the Earthquake XT |
made it look easy.
|430 ring gear is out.|
|The carrier bearings are almost right up against the washer plate. No room to get jaw pulling fingers under it.|
|The other side has no relief behind the bearing either.|
| Even this carrier bearing puller could not get in there......and even if it could it did not have the right sized cups|
for the job. Dremel drill to the rescue.
|Break the cage loose first...|
|.....and it's half out so far.|
|Now to cut a thin channel down this inner bearing race....|
|Tap it just right, it splits, and now it easily removes.|
|This side is done.|
|Repeat for the other side.|
|Done. Minor nicks are ok.|
|New races will go on but first to check the mount surfaces for burrs and irregularities. None found, of course.|
| Based on the way I am holding the hammer says that the ring gear tapped on very softly....was almost snug |
but not overly tight.
|Red loctite and 92 ft/lb on all 12 bolts.|
|Ring gear on....carrier bearings on. This end is done.|
|The electric impact sure makes it fast and easy to get the 30mm pinion nut off.|
|Flange tapped off. Wow, flange seal surface looks almost brand new....only a little shiney spot where the seal was sealing.|
| This is the seal supplied in the Nitro master kit. It appears to be a genuine factory seal. |
So glad Nitro is supplying genuine seals.
|The sensor assembly is removed.|
|Interesting looking critter.|
|Pinion shaft was pressed out and shown here pressing out the outer small pinion race.|
| Here's the "old" race and my special hombrew race removal tool designed to get the race out and not |
damage the oil retainer.
|Interesting....race is less than 3 years old and appears to have some pitting. Less than 10,000 miles on this race.|
|There's the oil retainer....no damage to it with the homebrew remover tool.|
|Toyota placed the .078" washer plate pinion depth shim behind the large inner pinion race.|
|Now to assemble with new races and the 078 washer plate for starters.|
|This end done.|
|and this end also done.|
|No shim here....just the massive bearing pressed up against the pinion head.|
| Re-assembled and backlash is set to be around .006 or .007". There is also some carrier bearing preload. |
Can't have a loose bearing because the pattern check would not show good results.
|Drive side....not bad but could it be a little deeper?|
|Coast....looks like a little deeper could be good for it.|
|The comet tail....looks too tight...too hard into the root of the tooth.|
|just looks like it is to "rootish"|
|The 078 washer plate was replaced with 081"....only .003" but the drive appears much better.|
|Coast is good.|
|See how the comet tail is feathering out a little closer to centre. That looks good.|
|I think 081 is the magic number :)|
|Last time to take the pinion out and place the new crush sleeve in place. New seal going in now.|
| Crush the sleeve until 12 in/lb is noted and ding the nut. My trick is anti-seize on the pinion threads....|
Thread resistance goes down and pinion nut takes less effort to turn.
|Washer plates can now be adjusted for correct backlash and preload.|
|Brass does not dent the washer plates.|
|Caps get torqued to 84 ft/lb|
|The wires get properly tinned with my professional solder station.|
|I've had this station since about 1998......20 years.|
|I did not get a shot with the heat shrink tubing off.|
|10mm bolts....less than 10 ft/lb|
|specs that I set it to.....|
|Pinion bearong preload a nice 12 in/lb.|
|There's a solid 8 in/lb of carrier bearing preload....can't accuse me of loose bearings :)|